Our History

Penzance Road Government School officially opened its doors on the 16th of February 1920.

Mr Lionel Day was appointed headmaster. The school opened with 54 pupils on the register.

When the school was built it was surrounded by bush and the road to Umbilo was a sandy one.  There was only the front portion of the school.

1920
Penzance Primary opens its doors.
1957
On the 9th of November 1957, Penzance celebrates the official opening of the “Robert Mason School...
1959
Maypole Dancing is introduced and this tradition continues to this day.
1975
Mr Graham Knox, school headmaster, wrote the School Song. Due to the increase in learners, anoth...
1981
Rugby is introduced.
1982
Past pupil Aaron Klug receives the Noble Prize for Chemistry.
1983
On the 1st March 1983, the “Ron McLeod Swimming Pool, is officially opened.
2001
The old Post Office building is transformed into the Penzance Pre-Primary School.
2007
The completion of the Nkulisa Aftercare and Homework Club Centre.
2013
The Learner Support Centre is opened to accommodate a Speech and Language Therapist, and Occupati...
2017
The “Lynne Gill Performing Arts Department” is officially opened in the Nkulisa Centre.
2019
The building of a Sports Pavilion is underway
2020
Penzance Primary will be celebrating it’s Centenary Year. Plans are in place to build an “EduTec...

A poem written in 1975 by a past pupil